Friday, December 24, 2010

Home is where...

...my heart is this moment.

Well, still no luck on the stand mixer, camera, or apron, but we'll see what happens. Either way I have been baking up a storm in my kitchen.
me sharing a warm embrace with the heavenly device

So far, I've made a pumpkin pie, a dulce de leche pie, and a dulce de leche cake with caramel butter cream frosting. All from scratch, naturally. As I keep promising, I'll add the recipes on here when I am done fundraising. So far, I owe you all an apple pie, a pumpkin pie, dulce de leche pie, and now this cake. I do, however have some pictures to share with you!
the fresh caramel buttercream. I actually wound up liking the rustic look much more than I thought I would. I know it would have looked nice, but honestly who really wants to bite through fondant? I ALWAYS make mine from scratch, but I didn't have time for that, so I took the tastier approach. Eventually, the cake will be garnished with either raspberry and mint leaves for the christmas spirit, or coconut flakes!
magic/dulce de leche pie. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips to reduce the risk of a chocolate coma though. This golden slice of heaven is a 3 hour boiled dulce de leche.

Also, I babysat yesterday, so I made a gingerbread house from trader joes with the kids! They were so excited to put the house together and decorate it, but less excited to eat it. I made a gingerbread cookie that's a bit tastier, because I've found that boxed ginger bread houses often contain brick-hard cardboard-ish cookies that are anything but appetizing.  I found the recipe HERE. If you read the reviews, you will find other's changes and alterations to the recipe. I found it to be a great one for the holidays.
our masterpiece, complete with ginger-dog. What do you think?

Also, are you craving hot chocolate? Try making your own peppermint marshmallows from Martha Stewart's recipe. One of my favorite blogs, Cupcakes and Cashmere added some red food coloring and swirled it in the marshmallows for an added effect, i liked it! If you're not in the mood but still want some chocolate-peppermint flavor, stir in an extra candy cane!

So, Just a small update. I promise to post something more interactive soon! But for now, enjoy and be merry. Spend lots of time with the ones you love.

Peace. Love. Joy. And many Ho's. (I'm sorry, that was inappropriate.)
-Brooke

Oh! PS. I almost forgot. If you see it around, I HIGHLY recommend you try the CHOCOLATE Pannetone. I've only seen it in the Brazilian markets, but it is the most delicious holiday item on my list this year. I discovered it last year when I couldn't eat during the holidays due to my tonsillectomy. Gui and I must have gone through three loafs! I found it online HERE. It is honestly the best bread ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment