Monday, May 16, 2011

Home for the Holidays

I finished school, and have had a crazy ten days back home. Although I'll be updating you after my trip to honduras; as I prepare to take off I would like to share a HUGE expression of gratitude for the immense support I have received in my life. It brings me to tears to say this, and I thank every single person reading this, every single person who has donated, and every single person who has believed in me. This has been the hardest year of my life, but I'm getting to the light at the end of the tunnel. It's because of the support I've gotten. Before I go, I have some pictures to share with you all!

This is it. I have fundraised my butt off in order to attend this trip, and so here it is! Thank you to EVERYONE who has supported my fund.
A special thank you to my Donors:

  • David Scott
  • Randi Pellett
  • Ila Moravek
  • Samantha Kaye
  • Samuel Del Pilar
  • Dani Bruno
  • Melissa Ellowitz
  • Ellen Gerstein
  • SmithSTAND club
  • Mia Moorehead
  • J. Gerstein
  • Adele Boskey
  • Smith College
  • Iris Gonzalez
  • Karla Pozo
  • Jackie Schrauger
  • Anonymous
  • Myself (Brooke Gerstein)
I truly would not be capable of doing this trip without you all!

Second photo is a cake I did for Dave & Josh's Garduation dinner:
Jordan XI.  (Carving on the base done by Sam DelPil.)
This was my first cake (ever) so it's rough, but considering I still haven't taken any classes or anything, I think it went pretty well. The base was an almond butter cake with a home made chocolate butter cream, and the sneaker was carved with a simple vanilla pound cake, and the chocolate butter cream. It was covered in layers of fondant, and spray painted with edible coloring. The laces were made with twizzlers. Took a couple of hours, with the cooling, cutting, carving, shaping, and covering, but I think it was worth it. The cake was getting looks from all of Bertuccis, but it was worth it!

***NOTE: Please vote on the cookie poll! I know this year's cookies & milk didn't quite work out, but next semester, TheCoutureCook will be doing an ongoing sweets service! Don't miss out, & vote!***

Last, is two cookie recipes, for an EASY peanut butter cookie, and a Nutella Cookie. DELICIOUS!

Peanut Butter Cookies:
Ingredients
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
How to:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. combine sugar and egg, then mix in peanut butter until the mixture is blended completely. stir in vanilla
  3. roll into small (1 inch ish) balls, and place on a greased cookie sheet with some space in between them
  4. dip a fork in sugar, and then push balls down with fork, then the other direction (90 degrees) to create a criss-crossed pattern
  5. bake for 10-12 minutes or until browned but still soft
  6. enjoy!
-I like these because you can add chocolate to them, or peanuts (1/2 cup, or as much as you want)

Nutella Cookies:
Ingredients
  • 1 cup nutella
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 egg
How to:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. combine ingredients, mix well, and roll into one inch balls, place on a greased cookie sheet, and press down into flat circles
  3. bake for 7-8 minutes or until set, allow to cool
  4. enjoy!
-These have a GREAT nutella flavor, and are nice and chewy! I loved these!

Well, on that note, I have to go finish packing at head to Kennedy airport for my 4:30 AM flight! Hope everyone has a great end of classes and/or beginning of summer! I'll be home soon, with fun new recipes to try, and a lot of food adventures to share from Honduras & Japan!
Love. Do good.
Change the world.
-Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment