Friday, March 25, 2011

Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies

Hello my foodies!
How is everyone's spring going? Mine has been busy, and slightly stressful. I started a new job (which I love SO much) working at an after school program in Holyoke. I told you in the last post that I'd be including a recipe for the red velvet sandwich cookies I made with the students, so that's what today will be about!

I've also been accepted to go to Israel on the Birthright program! My summer schedule seems crazy, but I'm slowly getting organized and figuring out when I will be going where, and with who. I've applied to work in my school's admission office, so hopefully I will be hearing from there soon as well! Last, I am continuing to bake/cook for fundraising, but am still accepting for donations to my community service fund! I have dedicated my time, and skill to international service, and will continue to do so. With that, however, support is imperative to succeed at such a large mission! Please consider donating or making an order either on THIS WEBSITE [CLICK] or emailing thecouturecook@gmail.com.

So I'm including a recipe but first, I have some site updates: I have included a new poll! Please vote, this one is actually to help set up for my milk and cookies during finals week in the 5-college area! This poll will be going on until the last week of April, before Smith College Finals starts. Smith is not the only college to get milk and cookies though! The Couture Cook will be setting up shop at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, so stay posted for that!
Here are the results from the last poll:
adobo wins! ..figures. =]

Finished product of the first day working
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
A unique play on the classic red velvet cake flavors!
(I'm not sure where the recipe is from.. If someone knows please email me!)

Ingredients:
Cookie:
  • 2 2/3 cups flower
  • 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons red food coloring
Cream Cheese Filling:
  • 2 pounds of cream cheese, softened
  • 4 sticks of butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 8 cups powdered sugar
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl
  3. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 min)
  4. Add the eggs and blend, one at a time
  5. Beat in buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla, and food coloring.
  6. Add dry ingredient to the wet. Mix thoroughly until combined
  7. Onto a sheet of parchment paper on a tray, drop batter using an ice cream scoop to form easy, 2 inch round circles
  8. Bake for 10 Minutes.
  9. Blend filling ingredients, and spread onto *COOLED* cookies (otherwise, if it's hot the frosting will thin out and be a sticky mess!)
  10. Put top cookie on and Enjoy!
Makes about 24-30 sandwiches. 

couldn't resist taking a bite first!
Also, I just want to mention an event going on tonight for Smithies:
Tonight! Dumpling workshop! Yes! So awesome! Go!
I am SO excited to go to this tonight! Although, it's unfortunate that I forgot to RSVP! (Still, I think it will be worth it!)

*Lastly, as some of you may know, I have purchased my domain name! It was unavailable for a little while, but while up for auction, I jumped and grabbed it. You will still be able to reach this URL on blog spot, but in a couple of days, you will be able to reach the site at: www.THECOUTURECOOK.com
I cannot express how grateful I am for my readers, and am very excited to continue the growth of the Couture Cook "empire." Thank you for the support, it means the world to me! I'll be making an announcement when the site is fully up and running/available for readers to explore.*

Envision. Innovate. Revolutionize.
-Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment